Friday, May 25, 2007

Flower without a Vase

I fell in love with Googoosh, easily the most revered Persian pop singer of all time, long before I met S.

My favorite song, Gol bi Goldoon (Flower without a Vase) is stunningly beautiful. It has always been my favorite.

I had made it S's ring tone. When S called, I'd hear that lilting Persian melody.

I was inspired to share this when it occurred to me, listening to it recently, that there is some sort of cosmic irony found in the lyrics. For me, at least.

Here they are, translated by yours truly:

Flower without a Vase

You would say, "I'm nothing without you
"Stay with me forever
"Without you, I would die
There'd be no flower without its vase"

What a mistake I made, believing what you said
What a mistake I made, believing what you said

One cold, Autumn day you broke your vase
Like wedding flowers, you sat in the greenhouse
Spring comes again, once more they take you outside
Like (as for) wedding flowers, they arranged you
Again you tell your vase, "Stay with me forever"
You say, "Without you, I will die
"There'd be no flower without its vase"

What a mistake it is to believe what you say
What a mistake it is to believe what you say




No comments: